Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Answers of a Sort

It is amazing to me how much a small imbalance can throw off everything. I finally got in to see my doctor and after some discussion he decided to run a few tests. I got a chest x-ray to look at the old ticker, an EKG, and a bunch of blood drawn.

First, EKG was normal. YAY!

Next chest x-ray was normal. Also YAY!

Then came the blood work...a lot of it was normal and the things that weren't, combined with the symptoms I've been experiencing, all point to anemia. This I can deal with. So next we start looking for the cause which means more blood work and a couple of other tests.

The fun part of it is that my white and red cell counts were normal.  So I have plenty of cells.  The problem is that they are TINY which is called Microcytic Anemia. This is caused by iron deficiency. Hopefully this just means I need to eat better. 

I have found a couple of studies that have found a link to extended use of proton pump inhibitors(PPI), like pepcid, to a reduced ability for the body to absorb iron. This makes sense since iron absorption takes place in the gut and, for the more difficult to absorb plant based iron, digestive juices are a necessary component to facilitate iron absorption. PPI's inhibit digestive juice production, so it stands to reason there would be a link. Since I am on a daily dose of Omeprazole, which is a common PPI, this is also something I will be discussing with my doctor.

In the meantime, I'm exhausted, muddle headed, and suffering the worst fucking leg cramps I've ever had in my life. No where to go but up. Right?

Also as far as my list of "Shit I Have to Do" is concerned, I am presenting the budget to the finance committee today. My wife graduated Saturday. My car is working reasonably well. All that's really looking over me is finishing the new bedroom we've added to the house. I see light at the end of the tunnel...here's hoping it's not just another oncoming train.

-Tole

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

At least you now have ‘options’... :-)

Wayne said...

I've been seeing to it and I'm actually starting to feel better. Who'd have thought?

Make It Aluminum They Said - The Finale

Started it up this morning around 10 AM and let it come up to operating temperature. So far, so good. Decided I needed to road test it to ma...