Wednesday, April 29, 2020

More Pickup Progress



I spent the weekend buttoning up the exhaust on my '84 F150. I had started out with this grand plan to fabricate the y-pipe and weld up my own custom setup. Yeah...that didn't happen.

I gave it some thought and since I'm running factory exhaust manifolds I may as well go back with factory pipes. I found the y-pipe online for about $170. It was $100 higher from Summit, but Google solved that problem right quick. Came with a catalytic converter. Yeah, that's not getting used.



Never heard of the website before, but they shipped it to me for $20 and it fit like it was made to go there. Probably because it was. Interesting bit is that it's actually for a '95 F150 with a 351W. I figured that since the engine and manifold came out of a '95 it should work unless there was some funky difference on the frame of the '84 vs. the '95. It also has a provision for an O2 sensor that may get used at some point to monitor air/fuel ratio but for now an oil pan plug closes that up nicely.



Like I said before, it fits great. Well, mostly. It does rest on the transmission cross-member. I'm gonna notch the pipe and put a small bend in it. A little welding and it'll be good to go.  The flex pipe may or may not be temporary will just have to see how well it lasts.




Once I solve the issue of the turn signals blowing their fuse, it's ready for inspection and tags. One interesting thing on this truck though is the factory tool box under the hood. No idea how common they were, but it's the first time I've seen one.


One last thing. In small towns all over the country life is kinda jacked up right now, but some things can bring a smile. One of my trips to the parts store gave me this little moment of zen. The gentleman's wife has taken his keys in an effort to keep him at home because he's on oxygen due to pretty severe COPD. He was determined to take care of an issue, so he did what any red blooded American would do. He found alternate transportation.

Have a good one.

-Wayne

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

LOL, one does what one must... And it was typical in the 70s-80s to add a tool box under the hood. There was enough ROOM back in those days. I had one in my GMC.

He's a Good Boy

 So yesterday I gained knowledge I never wanted. I now know the signs of a stroke in a dog. Over the weekend my oldest pup, Koda, who I inhe...