Friday, June 19, 2020

Cars Suck

     In a previous post, I talked about some wiring issues I've been having with my daily driver, a 1989 Mustang GT. Well, I've just about got that mess sorted out, and I even did some preventative maintenance on things that were rusting in the dash as I went.

     I spent WAY too much time trying to repair the printed circuit board on the back of my instrument cluster. Screw you Ford by the way. I know, they were a great idea at the time, but they really don't stand up to time. Luckily National Parts Depot is reproducing them in the aftermarket. They're even making the smaller one that runs the fluid level warning lights. 

     I just wish I knew that before I spent a weekend playing with superglue and copper banding trying to fix shit like this.

     Sorry, I wandered off of why cars suck or at least why mine does. The last time I went to button up some more of the under dash wiring (and holy hell is there a lot of it), I found that my power steering system decided to barf in my driveway for no reason whatsoever. I haven't turned the wheels or started the car or anything. Oh well, just one more thing to straighten out. 
     Some days I have to remind myself how boring it would be if my car didn't need my attention on a regular basis. Other times I dream wistfully about how peaceful life would be if my car didn't need my attention on a regular basis.


3 comments:

Nuke Road Warrior said...

I used to own a '70 Maverick. My standard curse after working on anything between the firewall and the dashboard, was that I hoped the guy who designed that abomination had to spend some time in purgatory working on it with only regular tools.

Wayne said...

We have a running joke that a long time ago a design engineer at Ford once caught his wife cheating on him with a mechanic. When he got back to work, he decided to make life hard for all mechanics, and all of his colleagues carry on the tradition to this day.

We also say that if we ever find one of those bastards in a dark alley, it will not end well.

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah, it WOULD NOT end well... And it's not just Fords... Trust me! Now if it was a Chrysler product, the whole dash would just fall off in your lap... ;-)

He's a Good Boy

 So yesterday I gained knowledge I never wanted. I now know the signs of a stroke in a dog. Over the weekend my oldest pup, Koda, who I inhe...