Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Human Weapon

Over the last few weeks my close little group of cronies and I have begun to gather on Friday nights to watch The History Channel. Yep, you read that right...The History Channel.

Some programming genius found an idea for a show that touches some primal part of my hind brain and I can't stop watching it. It's called Human Weapon and runs at 8 and 9 pm Central on Friday nights.

Basically you have a former UFC fighter and a former pro football player/wrestler who are travelling the world learning a little bit about the hand-to-hand fighting styles native to whatever region they are in. They spend some time training with various teachers and then face a local champion (usually getting their butts handed to them in the process.)

Last week's show featured Krav Maga. Krav Maga isn't as much a self-defense as it is a way to put someone down as fast and as painfully as possible. (Did I just hear Tim Allen grunting? No? hmm...) What made the evening complete was when someone asked Lawdog how some technique to disarm a knife wielding baddie could possibly work. Lawdog, being the helpful and eager to educate others individual that he is offered a quick live demonstration.

Quick...yeah...it happened so fast that our unsuspecting inquisitive mind never saw it coming. He also had a tough time holding his drink in that hand for quite awhile afterwards.

Anyway, if you have an hour to kill on Friday, this one is worth buring a small bit of your life for.

Tole

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watch that show lots Tole!
I also had the good fortune to see it in action once...Krav Maga isn't that widely known here in the states but I'd match it against any of the martial arts!

He's a Good Boy

 So yesterday I gained knowledge I never wanted. I now know the signs of a stroke in a dog. Over the weekend my oldest pup, Koda, who I inhe...