Sunday, February 10, 2008

Well, That'll Teach Me

So I take the day off from work to take care of my family and how do they show their appreciation? They give me the crap they have. I guess I should know better by now.

Fever, stomach malfunctions, and lack of ability to remain upright for more than 10 seconds for 48 hours. I also got to have my first experience with IV fluids.

I need to give a nod of thanks to my boss for keeping me from getting seriously dehydrated. He asked that I get a doctor's note for my abscence from work. The request came from a phone call at 1:30 pm, and my regular doc closes up shop at noon on Fridays.

Running a fever, I called my Dad to drive me down to ye olde ER. Lucky guy that I am, my regular doc was on call and sittin there just waiting for me to show up. Vitals check, poke and prod on the old stomach and he retreats to the sink to scrub from his armpits down all the while remarking on how highly contagious this stuff is. Like I didn't know.

Then he checks the stats the nurse had jotted down...high pulse + low blood pressure + more than 24 hours since I last had the urge to pee. He rubs he chin, looks at the nurse and says, "stick him. One liter and push (something I can't pronounce, to make my stomach stop doing barrel rolls.)"

Took a little over an hour to get it all in there. But after it was all done, my headache was gone, my fever was down, and I felt much better. Still slept for 18 of the next 24 hours, but hey, what else can you do when you feel like death on a hot plate?

Tole

No comments:

Make It Aluminum They Said - The Finale

Started it up this morning around 10 AM and let it come up to operating temperature. So far, so good. Decided I needed to road test it to ma...