Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Scary Stuff

I am going out to the local University to get the ball rolling on an MBA. It is a daunting thought. I am about to put myself through three years of hard work and hope it pays off in the end. I’ll be 40 by then…yuck. Wish I had started sooner, but hey if wishes were horses, we’d all be eating steak.

I guess the biggest thing I will have to relearn is how to be a student again. It’s been over a decade since I received my BBA, and to be honest I wasn’t all that great of a student then. Of course I was young, dumb and full of…well you know how that old saying goes. I really wasn’t driven and had no reason to be. Now I do. I have 3 of them and they all depend their mother and me to give them what they need. IMHO, they need her at home with them and the only way that happens is if I am able to provide the income we need to see to it.

The next biggest obstacle will be from the kiddos themselves. They love to play and so do I. Not only that but they make enough noise for 12 kids their size. Studying will be an interesting prospect. I guess I will have to build that addition on the house so I can have a Fortress of Solitude.

So it is once more into the breach friends to do or die in the attempt. I begin classes in September and tremble a little at the thought.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try being 48 by the time you get your Bachelors degree. Of course I did waste my youth playing sailor all over the world but I finally figured out what I wanted to be when I grew up.Retired from one start another.

Unknown said...

I went back for my masters last year. I'm 10 years older than most of my classmates.

The upside is, at this level it's not as noticeable as when I was a 22-year-old sophomore.

The downside is... If I decide I want to teach or trade my sould for a JD I'll be starting a new career about the time most of my colleagues will be suffering from "inadequacy-induced Corvette buying.."

Hang in there, Tole. It's not as bad as it may seem. You have real-world experience. Master's-level profs like that in class.

HollyB said...

Well, I was 31 when I finally got my undergrad, and 45 when I started gradual school. The wealth of real world knowledge you bring with you in your "backpack of experience" will serve you well. Plus, paying for your education and having those 3 motivators will help you out tremendously.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Fortress o' Solitude...the little monkeys will stand outside the door, beating on it and howling because you are inside and they are outside. Trust me, I have 3 monkeys of my own, and I am their stay-at-home-mom!
Vic303

Brandon said...

You'll be OK. I'm back in school to finish my bachelor's, and while it's an adjustment, I found that it's not as bad as I thought. I think maturity helps a lot - I'm able to prioritize much better now than back when I was a kid in college the first time. Good luck!

Brandon said...

Oh, and by the way, I've been known to stay at work late in an empty office in order to get schoolwork done. It works!

Anonymous said...

I found that I was a better student as a 28-year-old than I was as a 21-year-old. Better focus, more motivation.

I did a BS in Accounting as an adult and I will be finishing my 5th year of Accounting classes (for the CPA exam) this week.

Going to school is kind of like AA. It's all one day at a time. If you sit back and survey the total hours, textbooks, projects, and exams it is very disheartening.

So, don't look. Keep your perspective on the here-and-now of your current classes. The later stuff will take care of itself.

Don't stop. It's very tempting to take a semester off and we can come up with all kinds of solid rationalizations to do it. Don't. One day at a time, every day.

I have two young children so I don't do homework at home. I have a nice desk at the credit union with the full MSXP Office suite loaded. I do my homework during lunch and during non-business hours. In fact, I'm going in in about thrity minutes to finish a take home final. I find that when I am at work my mental state is already geared towards being efficient and productive. At home it's much more of a challenge.

You've made the right decision. It's tough, but it will pay off in the end.

Clarinazi said...

I went straight from bachelors to MBA (while working) I will finish in December...I kinda wish I had waited and gotten more experience before going back. So many people have real-world experience in my classes, often we don't even talk about the theoretical--just the applications of real life.

Studying's a challenge, but if you can raise three kids, you're up to it. Good luck.

Make It Aluminum They Said - The Finale

Started it up this morning around 10 AM and let it come up to operating temperature. So far, so good. Decided I needed to road test it to ma...